VIN Inspection

Do I need to get a VIN Inspection?

Wyoming State Statute, Title 31 31-2-103(a)(vi) requires any vehicle, trailer, or watercraft that:
  • is registered or titled in another state; or
  • is a homemade vehicle, trailer, or watercraft; or
  • has been rebuilt or reconstructed; or
  • has been assembled from a kit; or
  • any vehicle for which a bond is required.
Must have a Wyoming law enforcement officer inspect the vehicle or trailer to ensure that the Vehicle Identification Number is displayed correctly on the vehicle.

How Do I Get a Vin Inspection?

In Casper VIN Inspections can be performed by the Casper Police Department. Please contact Casper Police Department at
(307) 235-8469.

Out of State Inspections

If your vehicle is out of state and you need to license it in Wyoming then you can have any law enforcement officer in your jurisdiction complete the Out of State VIN Inspection Form (PDF).
Note: A fee is required for the VIN inspection - Refer to fee schedule (PDF). Mail your fee and your form to the County Clerk's Title Office.

What is a HIN Inspection?

A Hull Identification Number, or HIN, is the equivalent of a VIN for a watercraft. If you have a watercraft that meets the above requirements you must get a HIN inspection before a title can be issued. In addition to the above mentioned location you can also have your HIN inspection performed by the Wyoming Game and Fish department:
3030 Energy Lane
Casper, WY 82604
Ph: (307) 473-3400