Temporary Registrations

The County Treasurer is allowed to issue temporary registrations on vehicles. These temporaries are different than the temporaries that dealerships issue and have specific requirements. The County Treasurer also issues Worker Temporaries for non-residents.


To be issued a temporary registration you must present evidence of the following:
  • Sales tax must be paid; and
  • Proof of insurance; and
  • Properly executed title; or a notarized bill of sale displaying all of the following pieces of information:
    • The date the vehicle was purchased
    • The vehicle VIN
    • The vehicle Make
    • The vehicle Year
    • The party that sold the vehicle
    • The party that purchased the vehicle

Permit Length & Restrictions

County Treasurers are allowed to sell a 30, 60 or 90 day temporary registration. These registrations expire 30, 60, or 90 days from the purchase date of the vehicle, not the date the temporary was purchased.

Only 1 temporary registration may be issued to any vehicle in a 12 month period. Therefore, if any temporary is issued from the Treasurer's Office, once it expires it cannot be extended and you must purchase a regular vehicle registration.

Vehicles with current or expired Wyoming registrations cannot obtain a temporary registration for their vehicles.

Fees & Expiration

Temporaries cost a portion of the normal annual licensing fees, as follows:
30 day temporary
10% of yearly fee
60 day temporary
20% of yearly fee
90 day temporary
30% of yearly fee
If regular Wyoming license plates are purchased after the purchase of a temporary registration, they will expire a year from the temporary expiration date. For example, if you purchase a vehicle on April 15th and get a 30 day temporary, the temporary would expire on May 15th. When you then purchase regular license plates, the plates will expire in May instead of April.

In-Transit Permit

An in-transit permit may be purchased for $20 by an out-of-state resident who has obtained a vehicle from any person, other than a licensed Wyoming vehicle dealer, for the purpose of transporting the vehicle out of state. The one-time permit is good for 48 hours from the time of purchase.