What is the Veterans’ Exemption?
- The State of Wyoming Legislature budgets funding to assist Veterans of foreign wars in paying property taxes.
- The County Assessor ’s Office administers the exemption based on statute and Department of Revenue Rules and Regulations.
- Effective January 1, 2007 the $800 lifetime maximum was removed; the exemption may be used on real estate or vehicles.
- A disabled veteran with a compensable service connected disability certified by the veteran’s administration is eligible for the exemption regardless of the time of service. Forms are available in the County Assessor ’s office.
- The surviving spouse of qualifying Veteran may be eligible to continue this exemption: they must reside in Wyoming and not remarry.
- Veterans who are Wyoming residents for a minimum of three (3) years preceding qualifying for the benefit.
- Veterans who have written discharge (DD-214 or equivalent) from active duty military service.
- Served during an armed conflict and received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (AFEM) or equivalent. View a detailed list of qualifications (PDF).
- Each Veteran must appear in person at their local County Assessor ’s office to qualify.
- A disabled veteran with a compensable service connected disability certified by the veteran’s administration or a branch of the armed forces of the United States is eligible for the exemption regardless of the time of service. Forms are available in the County Assessor’s office.
How can the Exemption be used?
- The exemption may be used on property tax and it reduces the assessed valuation by 3000 annually. The tax dollar amount varies depending on mill levy for tax district. Approximate amount $213.00. Eligible property must be owned by the Veteran and or Spouse as of January 1st.
- Veterans MUST contact their local County Assessor ’s office each year after January 1st or before the 4th Monday in May.
- County fees for licensing a vehicle (not sales tax) may be reduced by 3000 assessed dollars (approximately $90.00) annually. More than one vehicle may qualify, not to exceed a total of $90.00 per year.
- Title, registration, or expiration reminder showing the Veteran and/or spouse’s names is required prior to purchasing tags for exemption usage. New purchases must be titled before qualifying; leased vehicles do not qualify.
Download the Veterans Property Tax Exemption Application (PDF).